Finite Element Analysis of Pantograph
Finite element analysis of Pantograph, to check for the structural integrity, strength, factor of safety, as per DIN EN 12663-1:2015-03 Railway Application Standards
- Steady state contact load (vertical load) of 300 N on the pan-head along with the self-weight
- Forces resulting from accelerations in X, Y and Z directions studied separately in combination with steady state contact load on the pan-head
- A modal analysis of the pantograph to determine the natural frequencies and their respective mode shapes
- The analysis results show that the stresses in the pantograph components for all the load cases are well within the yield limit and have the required factor of safety (FOS).
- All the components in the pantograph assembly meet the required FOS of 1.15 and 1.5 with respect to yield and ultimate tensile strength for all the 6 cases.
- Therefore the design under the static load conditions mentioned in the paragraph 6.5.2 of DIN EN 12663-1:2015-03meets the FOS criteria of paragraph 5.4.2 and 5.4.3 of DIN EN 12663-1:2015-03.